Our friends over at Bacchus & Beery recently published a winemaker interview with Ryan. Here’s a snippet:

B&B Wine Blog: Your initial release of Cavers Cuvee Pinot Noir has received much acclaim, including a 97 score. What makes this wine so special?

R. Kunde: What makes this wine so special to me is that is represents a brief moment in time when my professional career of being a 5th generation winemaker crossed the path of my Great Uncle Richard and Aunt Saralee Kunde, of the 3rd generation, who literally helped to put the Russian River Valley on the map. Their community involvement and the award winning wines that came from Saralee’s Vineyard and Richards Grove benefitted the entire region and county as a whole.

Over 60% of the blend of that wine came from the last two tons of Pinot Noir to come off the property before it changed hands. It was an impeccable growing season with very clean fruit and excellent flavor development. The other 40% came from two other select sites in Green Valley and Russian River. Using small lot fermentations from these different sites, I was able to create a complex and layered house style that reflects much of what the Russian River Valley has to offer, and a wine I’m sure my Aunt would be very proud of.

Read the full interview here